Erasmus Student Network (ESN)
The Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is the largest student association in Europe. It was born on 16 October 1989 and legally registered in 1990 to support and develop student exchange. ESN is present in more than 1,000 Higher Education Institutions across 42 European countries.
The network is constantly developing and expanding. 15,000 active members, that in many local sections are supported by so-called 'buddies', act as mentors for international students. ESN involves over 40,000 young people offering its services to around 350,000 international students every year.
ESN works for the creation of a more mobile and flexible education environment by supporting and developing student exchange as well as providing an intercultural experience also to those students who cannot access a period abroad ('internationalisation at home').
Vision & Mission
ESN's vision is to by 2025, be the global network of the Erasmus Generation, committed to improving international education and providing self-development opportunities to two million young people, fostering intercultural understanding and creating positive change in society.
ESN's mission is to enrich society through international students.
The values that all ESN members stand and work for are:
- Unity in diversity, diversity in the unity (we all have different backgrounds, but share one common aim and goal);
- Students helping students (we passionately commit ourselves to volunteering for the benefits of others);
- Fun in friendship and respect (we enjoy relations based on respect);
- International dimension of the life (we are open-minded, mobile, like to discover and explore, to co-operate and to interact to break borders);
- Love for Europe as an area of peace and cultural exchange (we live and benefit from the cultural richness of Europe to the utmost);
- Openness with tolerance (we understand and accept others and learn from them);
- Cooperation in the integration (we share a holistic view towards internationality).
Become a volunteer
The individual members of ESN are the volunteers of ESN’s local sections or other levels of the network. In case you would like to become a volunteer, check out our website for more information: esn.org/become-volunteer
- ESN Activities: activities.esn.org
- ESNcard: esncard.org
- ESNblog: esn.org/blog
- ErasmusIntern: erasmusintern.org
- MappED!: mapped.eu